Martin L. Pitha
Email: [email protected]
4100 Newport Place Dr
Newport Beach, California 92660
Martin Pitha offers clients versatility and efficiency in his handling of commercial and employment litigation matters, including cases dealing with breach of contract, fraud, unfair competition, partnership disputes, intellectual property matters, and trade secret misappropriation. Mr. Pitha actively handles cases from the initial investigation stage, to trial and arbitration, and through appellate proceedings in state and federal courts. He is experienced in obtaining and defeating requests for provisional remedies, including temporary restraining orders, injunctions, and writs of attachment. He also counsels clients about avoiding and preparing for litigation, including matters involving covenants not to compete and other limitations on employee mobility.
- Successfully tried dispute between corporate shareholders through binding arbitration, winning six-figure award for client and defeating all claims alleged by opponents.
- Prevailed in trials involving commercial real estate and leasing disputes.
- Obtained complete dismissal at trial of alter ego complaint.
- Obtained an eight-figure payment for a small business from its publicly-traded business partner for breach of a consulting agreement.
- Defeated an eight-figure claim against an architect for alleged negligence and obtained a six-figure award for fees owed to the architect. (Francis, et al. v. Westlan Construction, Inc., et al., Cal. Court of Appeal Case No. B195914.)
- Obtained complete dismissal of suit against the Nevada SPCA arising from a fund-raising event.
- Obtained court orders freezing millions of dollars in assets obtained by the self-dealing of corporate officers, resulting in a quick resolution of the dispute.
- Resolved a contract dispute between an international sports organization and a major United States sports league concerning broadcasting of the organization’s event.
- Successfully defended insurance brokerers and accountants against claims for professional negligence.
- Successfully defended a pet food manufacturer against claims that its food caused injury to pets.
- Successfully defended a telecommunications company (1) against allegations that a disruption in service resulted in harm to a professional’s business and (2) in a class action case concerning the collection of certain charges from hundreds of thousands of customers.
Before founding Lillis Pitha LLP, Mr. Pitha practiced for many years in the Los Angeles office of the international law firm of Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. Before that he served as an associate with another local area law firm and as a Deputy Attorney General for the California Department of Justice. He speaks Czech.